- I contacted the adoption agency.
- October/November 1998 my feelings got stronger (birth mom conceived Lily)
- January 1999 Jeff and I went to a special needs adoption seminar, there was a little girl there with Ds that sat with Jeff all through lunch. I left thinking I could have a baby with Ds.
- Last part of March, first part of April I got the feeling that the adoption might not happen (birth mom just found out baby would have Ds and was being counseled of her options)
- April got a call from adoption agency. I had left all zip codes off the references. I knew the adoption was back on full force.
- Saw a t.v. show about adopting children with special needs and talked with a friend about children with disabilities. I knew then I would be getting a daughter with Ds.
- June 2, 1999 had home inspection. Adoption worker told us about birth mom's baby. He wasn't suppose to because we weren't cleared yet; our names are very common. I told him I already knew about Lily and she was ours.
- That wonderful day when the adoption worker called - He sat us down in his office and said that he had received this letter and wanted me to read it (can you say nervous!)
This is the beginning, it is dated 7/7/1999 - I am so grateful that I got your family to choose from... I feel very blessed to have you guys as the parents of my child.
After reading the letter they presented us with a basket of cookies. One said "It's a girl!" The boys loved it.