Thursday, August 14, 2008

OPEN LETTER TO BEN STILLER AND DREAMWORKS STUDIO


August 12, 2008

An open letter to Ben Stiller and DreamWorks Studio

Dear Mr. Stiller and DreamWorks Studio,

I just came from viewing “Tropic Thunder” I swore, even blogged to the world, that I would not see this movie, but after talking with people who knew I was considering protesting the movie I went. Their comments to me were before you protest you need to know exactly what you are protesting. Well, now I know what I am protesting…

This was not a movie for entertainment unless of course you were a white, physically fit, straight person. Not only did you attack individuals with intellectual disabilities, you attacked overweight people, people who are gay and I also felt you attacked black people.

Mr. Stiller, I watched an interview you did explaining how over the top some actors will go to portray their character, and that’s how you justified Robert Downey, Jr. playing a black man. But, it was you as the writer of this movie who came up with those lines and concepts.

Question to Mr. Stiller - when you studied “retarded people” did you study my 9 year old daughter who has Down syndrome or how about my nephew who has Autism? Who caught your eye as “the full retard”? Oh, and by the way did you not think that line would now be the catch phrase at every school in the nation? Is it not bad enough just to be retard, now it has to be full retard? Thank you for that.

Comment to Mr. Spielberg – with all the work you have done for the Jewish community and remembering the victims of the Holocaust did you forget that they also murdered individuals with disabilities and handicaps?

Shame on both of you for allowing this thing that you call an entertaining movie to be made. Will I protest on the streets with signs? No, I won’t waste my precious time anymore on this. You don’t deserve it.


Sincerely,


Suzie Smith
Mother of Lily who happens to have Down syndrome
Holladay, Utah

7 comments:

Amy said...

Very well said...

Hug Lily for me...

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Great job! I am still not going to see it! I think it would infuriate me to no end. I have trouble watching the clips on TV.

Nicole said...

Great letter! Thanks for visiting my blog today too.
Your daughter is beautiful!
Nicole

Nick McGivney said...

Dear Suzie

Thanks for going to see it, thanks for the commentary and thanks for giving it all a fair crack of the whip. You couldn't have been more balanced.Good luck in the future with your beautiful daughter, and if you don't mind I'll link to you...

Tom said...

Hi Suzie, We haven't met online and I hate that it's this film that's the reason for meeting, but anyway...
I also have a young son with DS and also went to the film but just wrote about why I support it. I totally appreciate you putting yourself out there with this letter and the spirit behind it, but just wanted throw out a different perspective. Anyway, I look forward to reading more...
(and I had my speakers up high for some reason and nearly jumped out of my chair when your music selection started :) )

Hammie said...

It is lovely to meet you Lily and all your family on your blog.
I felt exactly as you do when I heard about this film and the viral marketing campaign to promote it. I am wondering whether to go see it as I always take my son Boo, who is 10 and has autism, to the multiplex to see big movies, And my son likes to whoop and flap his hands during the credits. I am wondering what the teenage boys in the cinema will say when the lights come up and they see him.
My son won't mind, he will be focusing on the excellent graphics that come with a big budget movie. But I will. And I don't want to be on the news that night, "Angry Mother tosses 5 teenagers over the edge of the Balcony at Multiplex, pictures at 9"

Tell me, do you think this film would have succeeded on it's own dubious "merits"? or did they go for the lowest common denominator to market it, because it might have flopped?

We won't know until the end of the month.

xx

Thankyou for your beautiful blog.
And By the way, you look gorgeous at that wedding.

Lily said...

From what I am hearing a lot of people just don't like the movie. The concept of what Mr. Stiller was trying to do was fun; actors portraying actors and getting caught in the middle of a real drug war and not kowing it. But, the jokes went to far. Yes, people laughed, but I didn't. Maybe it was because I went in there with a mind set of how are they going to attack my daughter. They weren't just attacking my daughter though and I realized that right from the very start. So far the sales are way down from what they expected.